School Board Meeting Minutes: November 18, 2020
Mountain School Board Meeting Minutes
November 18, 2020
Via Zoom/Mountain School
311 W. Cattle Drive Trail
Flagstaff, Arizona 86005
Board Members Present: Renee Fauset, Sandra Dihlmann, Bryan Cooperrider, Mark Neumayr, Katherine (Kathy) Lampros
Board Members Absent: Jason Aulwes
Non-Board Members Present: Kim Khatibi, Gina Andress, Vanessa Fitz-Kesler, Audra Morales
- Call to Order/Welcome by Renee Fauset: The Zoom meeting was called to order at 3:31 p.m.
- Adoption of Agenda by Renee Fauset: Mark Neumayr made a motion to adopt the November 18, 2020 agenda, as proposed. Kathy Lampros seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Call to the Public by Renee Fauset: Renee Fauset and Bryan Cooperrider read 3 public comments that were shared with the Board and Mountain School community during the public comment period.
- Disclosure of Conflicts by Sandra Dihlmann: No additional disclosures or updates of conflicts to report.
- Action Item: Approve October 12, 2020 Meeting Minutes by Renee Fauset: Kathy Lampros made a motion to adopt the October 12, 2020 Meeting Minutes. Mark Neumayr seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Action Item: Approve non-discrimination notice by Renee Fauset: Mark Neumayrmade a motion to approve Mountain School’s Non-discrimination Notice, as written. Kathy Lampros seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Agenda Item: Introduction of Kim Khatibi, future board member, by Renee Fauset: Kim Khatibi shared herexpertise on various school boards, her teaching experience at the K-12 and college levels, and her administrative experience as the Director of Special Education at Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy. Kim expressed her sincere interest in serving on the Mountain School Board and will be sworn in at a future Mountain School Board meeting.
- Agenda Item: COVID update by Vanessa Fitz-Kesler: Vanessa shared the Mountain School COVID reopening plan with the Board. Vanessa reported that 35% of Mountain School staff has had some kind of exposure that has required some quarantining and limited staff. Gina reported that administration and staff are meeting weekly to discuss the smoothest and safest hybrid reopening plan. At this time, they have adjusted staff hours and designated staff roles to work more efficiently. In general, community spread numbers are increasing. The Coconino County Schools report is shared with families on ClassDojo weekly. Vanessa will gather more information on Benchmark 3 and bring suggestions to the next meeting; Benchmarks 1 and 2 are in line with other charter schools’ plans.
- Agenda Item: Building ventilation update and quote by Vanessa Fitz-Kesler: Vanessa Fitz-Kesler presented information and a quote by Pueblo Mechanical and Controls for installation of ionization devices on the HVAC systems at Mountain School. A second quote from Campbell AC will be forthcoming. Renee Fauset would like to hear more about the ionization process at a future board meeting, but the decision to approve the quote will reside with Administration. Bryan Cooperider will conduct some research on the science behind ionization devices.
- Agenda Item: SIS (School Information System) update by Vanessa Fitz-Kesler: Mountain School’s current SIS is being discontinued. Administration has reviewed four possible replacements and has narrowed it down to two, PowerSchool or Infinite Campus. Pricing for each of these SIS was shared with the board, as well as some of the improved capabilities, such as integrated SPED documents, behavior management, learning management system, enrollment, and student records accessible by teachers. It is a significant investment and is also an unexpected budget expense, in the order of $26,000-$35,000. However, the school needs to commit to new software by January 2021 in order to implement the company’s twenty-six-week training and implementation plan, in preparation for a fiscal year rollover.
- Agenda Item: Review of Fiscal Year 2020 school audit (draft) by Vanessa Fitz-Kesler: Vanessa Fitz-Kesler presentedthe 2020 school audit draft to the members of the board, and she will request that the auditor present the final version to the board at the December meeting.
- Director’s Report by Vanessa Fitz-Kesler:
- Safe Learning Space Update—maxed out space at 20 students, hiring a full-time person to start the Monday after Thanksgiving.
- Charter Board 10-year review is approaching in 2021
- Increase in IDEA funding with reallocations
- Hiring a full-time front-desk receptionist to better utilize Audra’s skills in HR and Payroll and to assist in SIS duties.
- Beginning a focus group to look at the multi-age classroom constraints and challenges
- Agenda Item: Future meeting date(s) by Renee Fauset:
- Tuesday, December 15 at 3:30 pm
- Tuesday, January 12 @ 3:30 pm
- Future Agenda Items by Sandra Dihlmann:
- Vote to add new Board member, Kim Khatibi
- Update to Mountain School re-opening plan
- Update to building ventilation options
- Update to Principal Evaluation form
- Update on 10-year review
- Update/Acceptance of 2020 audit
- Adjourn by Renee Fauset: The meeting was adjourned at 5:15 p.m.
Dated: ________________ of November 2020
MOUNTAIN SCHOOL BOARD
Renee Fauset, President
Sandra Dihlmann, Secretary