Mountain School: Safe Space and Student Support Plan
Mountain School’s Safe Space Plan: 2020-2021
The Governor via Executive Order 2020-41 has mandated that schools provide a free, safe place for students to access online learning if they do not have a safe place to be at home. This safe place will be supervised by a Mountain School staff member, but not involve direct in-person instruction. All CDC guidelines will be followed, including physical distancing, sanitation, and wearing of masks.
- The safe space is in the Mountain School Gym
- Please note: Daily temperature and symptom screening will occur outside the library door, parents must escort children to the door, but will not enter the building
- Scheduled time outside will be on the field at the park, on the urban trail, and in the parking lot. The playground will be closed. Physical distancing will be implemented.
- Ms. Sally will supervise the safe place, with additional staff as deemed necessary.
How to Reserve a Spot for Your Child:
- Parents must notify Ms. Sally via email only at (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 3:00 PM the Thursday before the week the safe space is needed
- Times and days must be included in the email
If you are utilizing safe space because your child will not have a safe space or access to online learning during the morning, we recommend you drop your child off 15 minutes prior to their scheduled live Zoom meeting so we can help them get logged in on time and they will be able to access all the live lessons for the day.
The school will be open for safe space during the following hours, but parents may utilize the safe space for shorter periods when the child does not have a safe learning space at home. Parents may also schedule for certain days of the week instead of all five days. Schedules must be submitted to Ms. Sally by email by Thursday the week before so she can staff and plan accordingly:
- 8:15 – 3:00 – Open for safe space learning
- 2:45 – 3:00 Dismissal and pick up
- 8:15 – 12:30 – Open for safe space learning
- 12:15 – 12:30 – Dismissal and pick up
There is NO supervision available after 3pm (M-Th) or 12:30 (Fridays), so students must be picked up by the end of the day. Please be mindful of the 3:00 dismissal time. No Aftercare is available at this time. If students are not picked up by the end of the day, Ms. Sally will call parents or authorized people from the family’s pick-up list. Ms. Sally can be reached at 928-779-2392 if you need to pick up earlier than scheduled.
What to Expect: Routines & Protocols:
- Students arrive and are screened for symptoms
- Each child will have their own desk with a plastic divider
- A device will be provided if needed
- Kids can bring their own headphones or the school will provide
- Students will access their own classroom live meetings from their individual desk and device
- During scheduled morning breaks, students can move around within designated space, following Ms. Sally’s instructions on safe physical distancing guidelines and using assigned areas
- Students will have snacks and lunch during the day at times that align with their classroom schedule, keeping safety guidelines in mind.
- Parents must send lunch and snacks
- If a child develops a fever or any sign of illness, especially COVID-19 symptoms, parents will be called and be expected to pick children up immediately and children will be sent home
- The School will encourage students/families to notify Vanessa Fitz-Kesler, Mountain School’s designated COVID-19 Point of Contact regarding any positive test result for COVID-19 with respect to any student or staff member.
- We will implement Mountain School’s employee and student face covering policies, as approved by the governing board on August 12, 2020.
- We will follow Mountain School’s Covid-19 School Mitigation Plan, as approved by the governing board on August 12, 2020. It is posted on our website in the section titled “2020-2021School Operations.”
What to Bring:
- Snack and Lunch (if necessary)
- Water bottle
- Personal sanitizer
- Headphones (optional, if not using a set provided at school)
- All materials and papers from the teachers for the child’s daily work
- Follow ROARS and all rules of Mountain School
- The Mountain School Behavior Code will be followed
- Handwashing/Hygiene: Wash hands after using the restroom or touching face or blowing nose, followed by sanitizer
- Sanitize your hands BEFORE and AFTER using the bathroom
- Wear a mask while in the building
- Stay in the gym and bathroom area only.
- Follow Ms. Sally’s instructions. Running around or horseplay in the gym will not be allowed
- Maintain a safe distance (at least 6 feet) from other students
- Mornings: Participate in live classroom lessons with supervision from Ms. Sally.
- Ms. Sally may not be able to give individual tutoring or extra help to students.
- Lunch: Eat at their desk
- After lunch, weather and schedule permitting, students may have outdoor exercise in designated areas (not the playground)
- Afternoons: Asynchronous work will be completed after the lunch period
- Each child will have one Specials class per week
- Mornings: Short movement and stretch breaks according to live learning schedule, read, write, draw (no screen time or playground)
- Afternoons: Group breaks scheduled by Ms. Sally
PLEASE NOTE: Safe Space information, procedures, and protocols are subject to change based on directives from the Arizona Department of Education, Arizona Department of Health Services, Coconino County Health Department, and Mountain School administration.